Before any travel, please update us at email@example.com so we create a Travel Approval Request.
Travel Card Expenditures (Individual)
- Details, Details, Details.
- Purpose for business meals must be stated in extensive detail (e. g. projects discussed, future contributions to programs, etc)
- 20% tip
- Any higher and you may be asked to pay the difference.
- The MAXIMUM Meal Cost is 2x the per diem rate/ person (average). INCLUDING tip.
- If you go above this, receipts are sent to the Dean for review, and you may be asked to pay the difference.
- Itemized receipts must be provided.
- If they don’t give you one, ask.
- Purchases of alcoholic beverages are not allowed in any circumstance.
- When purchasing airfare, paying for premium/preferred seating or early access to boarding is not allowed.
UMD Per Diem (current as of 4/2016)
|Total (per diem) - including tax & tip||$45.00|
Travel Card Expenditures (Additional Rules for Groups)
- All rules listed above apply.
- Always have a list of attendees and their affiliations.
- Approved business meal reasons:
- Interview of applicant for employment.
- Visiting scholars and faculty; distinguished guest speakers/lectures.
- Business leaders outside of the University for the purpose of future contributions to programs.
- Conferences, convocations, symposiums and other special events which are on behalf of or substantially involve non-UMCP personnel.
- Employee awards/appreciation programs (cannot be a regular occurrence).
- Unapproved business meal reasons:
- Personal meals among University employees.
- Routine meetings among University employees.
- General discussion meals among employees.
- Any social function (e. g. birthdays and holidays).
UMD Travel Guide - http://www.dbs.umd.edu/travel/policy/umtravel/trav_guide.php
UMD Policy on Travel (PDF) - http://president.umd.edu/sites/president.umd.edu/files/documents/policies/VIII-600D.pdf